Build your career – at the hospital that’s built for the future
Humber River Hospital is committed to revolutionizing patient care for our diverse community. With the opening of our new facility, North America’s first fully digital hospital, on October 18, 2015, the future is very exciting for our people and programs. And we’re looking for exceptional individuals to join our great team: people who share our passion to deliver compassionate, professional, respectful care. The Hospital is formally affiliated with both the University of Toronto and Queen’s University.
We are currently have an exciting opportunity for a Registered Dietitian to join our Diabetes Education Centre.
Location: Humber River Hospital – Wilson
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, some evenings and occasional weekends.
Employee Group: OPSEU 590
- As a member of the health care team, this position assumes the responsibility for assessment, planning, implementation, care coordination and evaluation of patients whom are referred for diabetes care and management.
- Collaborates with the Registered Nurse and Endocrinologist in the development of client-focused health maintenance plans related to diabetes while utilizing a holistic and inter-disciplinary approach
- Uses a variety of teaching methods and principles of adult education to engage with clients to enhance diabetes self-management in group and individual settings
- Ensures continuity of care by maintaining up to-date medical records, communicating with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers, and making referrals where appropriate
- Regular monitoring of clients within scope of practice
- Engages in health promotion, outreach activities and diabetes education services in the community
- Participate in chart reviews and case conferences
- Maintain and develop professional competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food & Nutrition Sciences or equivalent
- Completion of an accredited dietetic internship program, MSc. Food & Nutrition, or member (or eligibility to become a member) of the Dietitians of Canada
- Current registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario in good standing is required
- Certification as a Diabetes Educator is required
- Excellent knowledge of clinical nutrition principles and trends
- Experience in applying principles of adult education in ambulatory care and the ability to teach in an individual or group setting is required
- Experience in program development and evaluation required
- Knowledge of community resources and experience in community outreach preferred
- Minimum 2 years of recent experience in diabetes care and management
- Excellent organizational skills, with an ability to set priorities and work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to encourage, support and motivate patients and/or their families from a multi-cultural community
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to cultivate and maintain mutually supportive working relationships with other members of the health care team
- A positive attendance and discipline free record required
- Proficiency in a second language used in the community served would be an asset
Interested applicants are required to apply online by the closing date. Incomplete or contain incorrect information may not be considered. We thank all candidates that apply but only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Humber River Hospital is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact the Human Resources Department for assistance.
Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Humber River Hospital, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the hired employee’s first date of employment Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis